If you are looking to visit the cutest towns in the Netherlands, this blog is for you! Amsterdam is the most known city of Amsterdam but there’s so much more to the Netherlands outside of the capitol city. The Netherlands is filled with cute villages – from traditional windmills to ocean side towns. On our trip, we visit 5 towns that we fell in love with their quaint charm. We cannot wait to go back to explore even more of the Netherlands and find lesser known gems!
Keep reading to learn all about the cutest towns in the Netherlands that you need to add to your bucket list!
The Cutest Towns in the Netherlands…
Delft is located about an hour south of Amsterdam. It’s a quaint village with canals throughout the streets. Delft is home to the famous Royal Delft Pottery Museum and Factory! This was one of my personal favorite towns in all of the Netherlands! It’s such a beautiful town filled with lots of streets to stroll and shops to peruse through.
Things to do in Delft:
- Visit Royal Delft
- Explore Delft’s Markt
- Book a canal cruise tour
- Visit the Vermeer Centrum Delft
- Wander around the streets of Delft
- See the Oostpoort [eastern gate with a drawbridge]
- Visit the New Church [Nieuwe Kerk] and Old [Oude Kerk] Church
Pro Tip: If you’re looking to buy authentic Delftware, make sure to look for the trademark on the bottom of the piece before buying it. There’s lots of knock off’s sold in the shops! We bought ours from the shop inside the Royal Delft.
2. Zaanse Schans
Zaanse Schans is a traditional Dutch windmill village and distinctive green houses that you need to visit! It’s located about 20 minutes drive north of Amsterdam. The windmills were actually relocated here in 1961 to 1974 to preserve the history of this traditional Dutch culture. When walking around the village, it brings you back in the 18th and 19th centuries. There are a lot of shops and a museum where you can learn more about the Dutch history and culture!
Things to do in Zaanse Schans:
- Walk around the windmills and go to the top of one
- Taste cheese at the Cheese Farm “Catharina Hoeve”
- Visit the Zaandam Time Museum [Museum Zaanse Tijd]
- Learn how traditional dutch clogs are made at the Wooden Shoe Workshop
- Visit the Zaanse Museum
Pro tip: go early in the morning to avoid crowds! This is a very popular tourist destination. If you’d like to experience this village in a less crowded and more peaceful environment, get there before the tour buses do!
Volendam is a Dutch town located on Markermeer Lake about a 20 minute drive northeast of Amsterdam. This town is filled with colorful wooden houses right along a beautiful harbor. It’s another cute town in the Netherlands that’s worth visiting! During our trip, we visited early in the morning and walking around was so peaceful! There was almost no one there until a little later when the tour buses arrived.
Things to do in Volendam:
- Wander around the streets of Doolhof
- Learn how cheese is made at the Cheese Factory Volendam
- Visit the Volendams Museum
- Learn how Stroopwafels are made at Woltjes Stroopwafels
- Take a ferry to Marken
- Walk the De Dijk van Volendam
Pro tip: If you plan to visit Marken, book the Marken ferry ticket with the wooden shoe workshop and Stroopwafel workshop so you can see live demonstrations on your visit!
Watch our youtube video below to see us experience the cutest towns in the Netherlands!
Marken is a Dutch village located on an island about a 30 minute ferry ride from Volendam. It’s filled with colorful wooden homes. Marken is very close to Volendam but a very different culture [traditionally] and style/color of homes. During our visit, it was decorated with flags to celebrate King’s Day in the Netherlands.
Things to do in Marken:
- Walk the Werf Trail around the island
- Clog Experience at the Wooden Shoe Factory
- Visit the historic Kijkhuisje Sijtje Boes souvenir shop
- Admire the Grote Kerk
- Visit the Marker Museum
Haarlem is a village with medical charm that’s located about 30 minutes west of Amsterdam. If you are visiting on a Saturday or Monday, there will be a market in the town center [Grote Markt]. It’s always fun to shop at local markets when traveling! Haarlem is an easy day trip form Amsterdam, especially if you’re taking public transportation since there’s a direct train route.
Things to do in Haarlem:
- Tour the Corrie Ten Boom House/Ten Boom Museum
- Walk around the Grote Markt
- See the Windmill De Adriaan
- Admire the St. Bavo Church
- Visit one of the many other museums – Frans Hals Museum, Teylers Museum,Archeological Museum Haarlem, and more!
Pro tip: book your tickets for the Corrie ten Boom house in advance, they sell out very quickly! Also, if you have time, read “The Hiding Place” before your visit so you know all the details about the Ten Boom family.